The Indian Mathematical Society (The Society) is a nonprofit organization. It welcomes donations from Individuals as well as from Organizations who wish to promote Mathematics in the country. It may be noted that donations received after Oct. 1, 2021 are eligible for exemption under Section 80 G of the Income Tax Act of the Govt of India. Some guidelines for Acceptance of Donations:
- The donor may be an individual or a trust or a group of individuals.
- The Society creates Corpus Fund out of the donation received. Presently there are three type of Corpus Funds - (i) General Corpus Fund, (ii) Ganit Bhavan Corpus Fund and (iii) Corpus Fund for Instituting Awards.
- General Corpus Fund - Donations made for a general purpose i.e. donation made without any specification and The Society can use it for any general purpose supporting mathematics.
- Ganit Bhavan Corpus Fund - The Society has bought a plot of land in Pune to develop its permanent headquarter, and a master plan of various buildings is ready for the construction. The Society is collecting funds to develop that complex. One can make a donation to the Society for construction of a Lecture hall/ library/ computer centre etc. Donation for Ganit Bhavan Corpus Fund can also be made without any specific stipulation.
- Corpus Fund for Instituting Awards -
The Society also accepts donations for instituting an 'Award' in mathematics to be given to an individual(s) who has published some outstanding work in a particular area of mathematical sciences. Such Awards are sponsored by Donors and can be named after self/ wife/ husband/ mother/ father/ teacher or any relative as suggested by the donor. The Society gives these Awards every year in its Annual Conference and they carry a Cash Prize along with a Certificate. The minimum amount of Donation for sponsoring an Award is presently kept at Rs 5.00 Lakhs which can be revised upwards, depending on the inflation rate. The Terms and Conditions for such Awards and the mode of selection is decided by the Council of The Society in consultation with the Donor. Presently, The Society has instituted Seven such Awards, namely A. K. Agarwal Award, Satish Bhatnagar Award, A. M. Mathai Award, Subhash Bhatt Award, P. K. Jain Award, B. N. Waphare Award and J. B. Shukla Award.
- For any Donation, a prospective donor should approach the General Secretary of The Society with an offer who will put it before the Council, if required.
- All donations can be made online. The details are as follows:
- Name of the Account Holder : Indian Mathematical Society.
- Account No. : 0981000100312287
- Name of the Bank : Punjab National Bank.
- Branch Name and Address : Adalat Road Branch, Aurangabad - 431001
- IFSC Code : PUNB 0375900
The Council reserves its right whether or not to accept a particular donation.
The Society is making a special Appeal requesting its life members and well wishers to support the construction of 'Ganit Bhavan' by making suitable donations.